Random Liver Transplant Facts
Some random facts about liver transplant:
- There are typically between 20 and 30 children on the waiting list for a liver at a time just at Toronto Sick Kids hospital. Toronto and London are the two transplant centres in Ontario.
- No cadaver livers came into Sick Kids hospital during July or August this year, but two became available this past weekend resulting in transplants (including the other OTC case I wrote about earlier). The waiting period for a cadaver liver is very random.
- The first living donor transplant in Toronto was performed in 1996.
- Toronto is the largest, most experienced living donor transplant centre in North America.
- The list for people needing transplants in Ontario is maintained by the Trillium Gift of Life program. They maintain a publicly accessible list that tells you how many people in Ontario are on the waiting list for organs at a time. At time of writing this, there are 235 people in Ontario waiting for a liver transplant (both adults and children). You can check the current number of people on the list here.